The Josh Award 2017 – call for nominations
The Josh Award is the UK’s national award in science communication, established to recognise and support up-and-coming talent in science communication.
The award provides the opportunity to become the science communicator in residence at the Manchester Science Festival, developing and delivering a new project or event while showcasing best practice in the field of science communication.
The winner receives support to nurture their development in the field and their involvement in the Manchester Science Festival from the Festival team, the University of Salford’s Science Communication cluster, and the BIG STEM Communicators Network.
The winner will receive the following:
- Role as Manchester Science Festival Science Communicator in Residence for 2017. The winner will receive the support of the Manchester Science Festival team, members of BIG and previous Josh Award winners to develop and deliver an innovative and creative new project or event at Manchester Science Festival.
- Up to £2500 to develop your project or event with Manchester Science Festival and up to £1000 personal expenses budget. Please note this budget will be agreed and held by the Manchester Science Festival and the University of Salford.
- Attendance at the annual BIG Event (conference fee and annual membership provided by BIG, worth around £300) to network with and present to a diverse range of science communicators from across the sector. The 2017 BIG Event will take place from Wednesday 19th to Friday 21st July 2017 at Life Science Centre in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
- A personal prize cheque of £500 provided by the Josh Award
- The Josh Award trophy, held for one year
How to apply
Applications are now open until 5pm on Monday 22nd May 2017. For more information please see the information pack and application form below.
Application form (pdf)
Application form (Word doc)